Thursday, August 25, 2005

I'm a 43 year old bus girl...

The title of my new book, the soon to be published book, the one day I'm gonna do it book...

For as long as I have wanted I have entertained the challenge of one day writing a book. It would be faction...a cross between fact and fiction. I have intended it to be a collection of my memories and yours. My pitfalls and yours. My new beginnings and maybe some of your endings. Honestly, it is why I started blogging in the first place. As a method to get my fingers typing and gas up the motor in my mind.

Well, every good book starts with a great title. [Although I have heard many authors refrain from naming their books until it is complete and the title serves as the reflection] Anyway, I have found my title. If this book never gets written, so be it! But, it WILL have a title.

I'm a 43 Year Old Bus Girl.

How did I come up with it? Easy. I just got off the phone with my mother, a 47 year old woman born and raised in Massachusetts. She owns a resturant in town and has done so for the past 10 years. Not only does she own it, but she manages it, sometimes serves at it and on certain days she has been known to pour the beers. Today though, I heard the best line I have ever heard come out of her mouth.

S: Hey mom, what's up?
M: Oh not much. Just getting ready for work?
S: Have you guys been busy lately?
M: Yes, we have been swamped and I had a bus boy call out sick for today. He was supposed to work a double. I have no one to work lunch now.
S: So, what are you gonna do?
M: I'm gonna do it!
S: What? You?
M: Yep. Me. I'm a 43 year old bus girl.
S: Mom, you're 47.
M: No. I'm 43 now.I

She was married at 18, fresh off high school graduation and her days of smoking weed on the Stoneham rocks. She moved to Norfolk, Virginia for her honeymoon with my officer's candidate father otherwise known as her high school sweetheart. Years later, after my father had passed away when I was five and she remarried again when I was thirteen, she gave birth to another child, my brother. Now, at 43 she busses tables and lies about her age.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmaooooooo awwww shyt now...i'd buy it simply because it's you..lol

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmaooooooo awwww shyt now...i'd buy it simply because it's you..lol

8:39 AM  
Blogger MaineSqueeze said...

WOW- Spex visited my blog! It's been days. Middle finger to you!!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

You've got a great book going there.

1:32 PM  
Blogger MaineSqueeze said...

I have always said by thirty I will write a book. Hmm...maybe when I am thirty I will be like my mom and knock 4 years off.

Goddess- are you being sarcastic? FYI- I can't leave messages on your blog!

4:25 PM  
Blogger MaineSqueeze said...

Spex- i was kidding.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know...lmao!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm serious. Sounds like a great story.

Oh, and I adjusted the settings so you can leave comments now. Sorry for the trouble.

Have a great weekend! :)

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok dammit i'm here and where the hell are you..it's friday dammit

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home