Wednesday, June 29, 2005

BRAVO Canada




Thought of the day: I read in the Boston Metro this morning that Canada's highest court legalized gay marriage yesterday. Same-sex unions already were legal in six out of 10 Canadian provinces and in one territory out of three after provincial court rulings in Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec. Canada will now be added to a list which only includes the Netherlands and Belgium as countries that allow such rights to homosexuals. Although Canadian provinces held the majority with 6 out of 10 that had already passed such laws, I think it is important to recognize what this says about them as a country. The ruling comes with mixed reviews from Canadians but the fact that it passed should and will have major implications on how other countries, prmarily the United States, go about this challenging marital debate. I would say it is a step in the right direction.
It's my perogative: Well, I guess Queer Eye for the Straight Guy just isn't bringing in the bucks like it used to for the boys over at Bravo because the network has announced a new show that is sure to test just how low we will go as reality tv victims. Being Bobby Brown premieres tomorrow night at 10PM on Bravo and chronicles the "Brown family" in a Real World, documentary style format. As if "crack is whack" Whitney and daughter Bobbi Christina won't pack enough punch, Bravo has included clips in which Bobby visits his 6 illegitimate children on seperate occasions and rocks out with original boy-band mates, New Edition. Bravo should have named this show the Bobby Brown telethon for child support and had 1-800 number scrolling across the bottom for donations to keep Bobby out of jail instead of actually issuing him a paycheck for this one. When the series is over and Bravo runs the 8 episode marathon, it will feel that way. I can see it now, Save Bobby! Call 1-800-I-Fucked-up in- my-twenties and now I am paying for it. As Keanu said so brilliantly in the movie Parenthood, "You need a license to catch a fish, but they'll let any asshole be a father." Tune in.

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies: Why do men do air golf swings all the time? Do you know what this is? In case you don't, it is the art of swinging an invisible golf club. Does anyone know a guy who does this? In the office? At home? My god, are they really working on their swing, breaking down the mechanics, trying to be a better player? Do they actually have a game that day or are they keeping up their training like an olympic swimmer who has to do laps everyday to stay in shape. Maybe they are trying to let us know they have a game later that day or week. Maybe it is a silent pick-up line and by doing the "ghost swing" in your presence he's saying, "hey, in case you didn't know, I PLAY GOLF." Do you think Tiger Woods does this while standing in the grocery line or when he's meeting with his agent? I've never seen a pro golfer do it during an interview with ESPN or during post-game interviews. Think of me the next time your boss comes out to talk to you at your desk and know that when mine does, he also brings his "ghost swing."


3 Comments:

Blogger SmileDragon said...

I was raised in a very open home! The only male figure I had up until I was 12 preferred to be called "Tinker Belle." I feel as if it is nobodys business who loves who, who kisses who, who has sex with who, and sure isn't anyones business who marries who. I can't believe that our country, founded on the idea of getting the hell away from controlling bastards, has turned into a bunch of controlling bastards! I'd much rather see two women kissing as I walk down the road, instead of a chick and a dude dry humping eachother against a wall. All of my lesbian friend are so much more tasteful than any of my hetero friends!

1:20 PM  
Blogger MaineSqueeze said...

Thanks for the response smilesalot. As a Bostonian, we are setting the tone for change. Too bad the red states can't seem to follow our lead.

2:15 PM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

This stupid world makes me so sad sometimes, and living in Texas makes it harder for me to deal! My husband and I love to go out to dinner. We love even more when we can get our friends to go out with us. The evening seems to be more difficult with this one couple. They are both very masculent (spelling) women, and are obviously in a realationship. We seem to get bad service when they are with us, and this disturbs me! I usually end up embarrassing everyone at the table because I can't seem to let bad service go, no matter the cause. I am a white, blonde haired hetero woman. Until I met this couple I never truly experienced discrimination like this. It is horrible, and I do my part every day to educate ignorant people.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home